Friday, September 17, 2010

Blue Ridge Relay day # 1







The day started so early at 3 am. We were on the road to Virginia by 4 am and got to the starting line just in time for Kurt to hop out and start running. Kurt was runner #1 and started off the race with a bang. He was so fast! I was runner #6 in our van and ran my first leg at around 11 am. After I finished running, our van went to rest at the the next exchange zone for van #2 to finish their run. We ate lunch at Panera and it was so good since we were so hungry! The exchange zone was at an Outlet mall so we headed there and found a nice grassy area to relax. We were SO tired but none of us really slept. It was hard to relax enough to fall asleep. Our van started running again around 6 pm with Kurt's 2nd leg. It was his long 7 mile hard leg. He ran it strong and did awesome! The sun went down as he was finishing and the rest of our van ran in the dark. It was a bit scary running on mountain country roads in the dark. We each had to wear reflective vests with flashing lights on the front and back, and have a head lamp or carry a flashlight. My second leg was 5.8 miles mostly downhill. I was so tired and did not feel like running but once I got going it was awesome. It was my favorite leg. I enjoyed the quiet and running in the moonlight. It was a little freaky when I could hear dogs barking in the distance and then they would sound like they were getting closer. Made me run a bit faster! We were so excited to get to the next exchange zone and sleep!

No comments:

Post a Comment